Turvey is an attractive stone built, red tiled and slate roof riverside village on the upper reaches of the Ouse in the wooded and gently undulating North West corner of the County of Bedfordshire. It is 7 miles from Bedford and 13 miles from Northampton on the main A428 road which effectively bisects the village.
The meaning of TURVEY is generally agreed as being an island or land of good turf at the bend of a river. The stone bridge spanning the river dates from the 13th century and from then until 1783, most of the Turvey estate was held by the Mordaunt family. The estate was split up in 1786 and one part, including Turvey Abbey became the property of Charles Higgins, a former Grocer and a Sheriff of London, and this was divided at his death between a nephew and a distant cousin – Descendants of the latter still live in Turvey House.
The village boasts the fine parish church of All Saints, dating from Saxon times and containing a beautifully preserved 13th century wall fresco.
Some of the oldest buildings in Turvey are the cottages around what is now the Central Stores. In days gone by this was a coaching inn called the Tinker of Turvey and dates back to 1150.
Being next to the river flooding has been an ever present problem for the people of Turvey and the height of a particularly deep flood is marked on the wall of Ye Three Fyshes pub.
Turvey Abbey is now home to a community of Benedictine nuns, with a community of Benedictine monks next door – both providing retreats and time for rest and reflection.
The population of the Turvey parish is approximately 1200 made up of residents in the main part of the village, at Station End (one mile east on the A428) and outlying farms. At Station End may be found the Barton & Royle Homes and the village also has a nursery, a pre-school playgroup, a lower school, two pubs, two village shops, a butchers and a number of small businesses.